Thursday, January 5, 2012

Babies with Eczema and Allergies

I feel like I'm an expert in this now, but research never stops. I am surrounded by a great support group of doctors, naturopath, dietitian, nutritionist, an amazing partner willing to do anything for his children's well-being, understanding friends, and unconditionally loving family members.

If you're reading this, you may be scouring the Internet for answers. A few websites helped me tremendously.

Here is a list:
www.allergicchild.com
http://eczema-natural-healing.com

I barely got any sleep. I would hold my daughter's hands to prevent her from scratching because there were nights when I woke up to her screaming and covered in blood from scratching. I searched the web for clothing for children with eczema to prevent scratching, but they were so expensive for me. If you can afford them, I would highly recommend you purchase one for everyday until laundry day.

Since I could not afford the clothes, I improvised. I made what we now lovingly call, "smittens". These "smittens" are unremovable by the child. I made "smittens" on her 6th month birthday. My daughter is so smart that she figured out how to remove her mittens by 3 months old and the socks over her long sleeves shortly after around 4.5 months old. At this point, I could no longer sleep soundly because of those night time bloody scenes.

At 5 months we brought her to her first allergist appointment, they did a skin prick test. This was a very unpleasant experience for her. Because of her age, the allergist only did one panel of 8 allergens. Egg was 3+ and milk 1+. This was my first experience with the skin prick test. We would have 3 more panels in the subsequent 3 months that showed apple and banana intolerance.

At this point her condition worsened, we went to the emergency room for a severe rash from exposure to cats during a birthday party. Luckily her lungs were fine, but her skin was oozing. The pediatrician prescribed anti biotics, but I wish I did not give it to her because her skin became less elastic and had a look of dryness instead. From the age of 6 months, her skin drastically changed from taking the antibiotic coupled with her 6 month vaccine schedule.

I sought out a naturopath, she advised me to ask for a blood test called RAST. She also said to ask the pediatrician for a blood test for viral and bacterial titers. (pediatrician will say because of breast feeding, there will be passive Immunity, but insist on the test anyway.) The allergist was reluctant, but I insisted. He gave me the form, but he did not mark the items needed, so I marked them with the same color pen. I know that there was a possibility that insurance could deny the claim if I marked too many, so I marked: cat, dog, corn, milk, eggs, wheat, peanuts. I never returned to the doctor, but luckily in NJ, a patient can request her own lab results. The results showed severe allergy to wheat, eggs, and moderate to milk, peanuts and soy. She is exclusively breastfed, so I have eliminated all of those from my diet, yet she still has eczema symptoms. Also, the blood test is not as sensitive as the skin test, so I believe that is why cat and dog did not show up. I was really surprised by wheat and soy because they were non reactive on the skin test.

However, I believe in her complete and total healing. I would like to conquer her eczema with a natural approach without steroids oral or topical and without anymore antibiotics.

What I wish for you, who have children suffering, is to believe in their complete and total healing! Our children are so powerful that they can overcome these obstacles. There is a reason why things happen and out of this experience, I've created the "smittens" that will benefit many other children. I hope to create a non-profit organization to create items that enhance comfort of those suffering from eczema, and donate to eczema research.

I have more to say, and I'm glad the blog is an outlet for my thoughts. I look forward to reading your experiences and responses.

Until next time. Stay blessed:)

No comments:

Post a Comment